Wheeling, IL 60090
As the department head, the position sets production planning and inventory goals based upon sales forecasts and production capacity. Using the sales forecast, position is the primary driver in the creation and maintenance of the company’s production schedule to ensure achievement of company fill rate and delivery goals, while maintaining and managing optimal inventory levels. Directs, creates and improves processes related to the flow of material through the facility. Manages the supply chain from the point of determining the raw materials needed through the production process and storage process. Using the production schedule, position will be responsible for managing inventory levels and the mix of raw materials, WIP and finished goods to ensure inventory is available to fill all order line items according to scheduled due dates. Position will work closely with Purchasing to accomplish inventory goals. Serves as primary liaison between sales, customer service, logistics and production departments as it relates to producing and managing product inventory.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, direct and coordinate the production planning department in the scheduling, expediting, and monitoring of the production process to ensure goals related to customer satisfaction/on time delivery, inventory turns, schedule compliance, and financial performance are met or exceeded.
- Identify raw material requirements and set inventory levels necessary to meet the production schedule and minimize the inventory investment and communicate those requirements to purchasing.
- Provides leadership, guidance and mentoring to staff of the Production Planning department.
- Manages the inventory level and product mix of WIP and finished goods, production speed and product demand to determine the proper levels which will ensure product availability and minimize inventory costs.
- Develops a master schedule for production for various manufacturing departments.
- Meets daily with department managers and supervisors to determine progress of work and to provide information on changes that affect the production schedule.
- Facilitate communications between production, logistics, and customer service/sales team. Ensures timely & accurate communication related to matters such as order status, change requests, production delays, etc. Provide complete and accurate status reports on request.
- Interact with marketing and sales departments to generate product forecast for supply chain.
- Implement production planning and materials management improvement.
- Work on special projects as requested.
- In conjunction with Accounting, coordinate the annual physical inventory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. APICS certification is desirable.
- Minimum of ten years of Production planning, Purchasing and/or supply chain management experience.
- A minimum of five years of supervisory and leadership experience.
- Able to set and achieve departmental goals.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of an ERP/MRP system.
- Intermediate to advanced user of Microsoft Excel/Access.
- Understanding of inventory principles/material flow and MRP.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Independent/logical thinker, highly organized, and possesses a problem-solving attitude.
- Operate and work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong math skills.