The Shipping Supervisor provides direct supervision, training, and guidance to the Shipping department staff (forklift operators and clerical staff). The Shipping Supervisor plans, organizes, and monitors the picking and shipping and documentation of all customer orders, ensuring a safe, smooth and consistent operation. Verifies the quality and accuracy of outgoing orders and ensures that all orders are loaded within standards and timelines requirements and properly documented and entered into the shipping system.
*Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct supervision to Shipping Department employees (forklift operators and clerical). Supervisory responsibilities include: hiring, training, assigning work, evaluating performance, providing performance feedback, corrective action, disciplinary measures and terminations.
- Assigns tasks to staff based on daily operation needs to ensure the shipping department operates in an effective and efficient manner.
- Regularly observes and ensures staff consistently follow all established company’s safety and operational policies and procedures.
- Responsible to coordinate all outbound activities including all BOL’s and paperwork.
- Supervises staff to ensure all orders are staged for counting and inspection; verifies the quality and quantity of orders; ensures shipping documents accurately reflect product being shipped.
- Assigns work and monitors progress of orders being picked. Responsible for labeling and identification of orders being shipped.
- Ensure all inventory transactions are accurately recorded and shipping documents are accurate and inventory is updated
- Supports warehouse staff when reconciling inventory discrepancies from shortages and damages. Notifies production if more inventory is required for orders.
- Maintains organization, cleanliness, safety and housekeeping practices of assigned areas.
- Responsible to ensure all assigned material handling equipment is operating at top efficiency by enforcing operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, providing preventative maintenance, ordering repairs.
- Collaborates with other departments to research and resolve any issues related to outbound shipments/purchase orders.
- Promotes a safe work environment by monitoring activities of staff and others working/moving within the assigned docks and warehouse areas. Ensures safe operation of forklift and encourages safe work practices.
*Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- High School diploma or its GED equivalent and some college coursework in a related field
- At least three years of related supervisory experience in a manufacturing or distribution environment
- Knowledge of MS Office applications as needed to perform work assignments. WMS- Warehouse Management System (Oracle) experience is the inventory system utilized.
- Previous experience operating a forklift and prior experience training and supervising forklift operators
- Bi-lingual (English and Spanish) is preferred.
- Proven ability to solve routine problems and make timely decisions
- Detail oriented
*Essential Physical Requirements:
- Standing and walking 90% of the time
- Endure hot and cold weather
- Ability to lift minimum 35 pounds throughout the work day.